Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New Restaurants

I can't believe how long it has been since I last blogged on this site. Sorry. Those holidays tend to distract me! While enjoying the frenzy of the season, I did have the opportunity to enjoy some great gluten free food.

First, I dined at Snooze. I didn't ask for a gluten free menu figuring it was futile. I just ordered eggs and hashbrowns. But when I declined the toast because I don't eat gluten, the waitress kindly told me that they have gluten free toast. Yeah! I have since learned that Snooze also has gluten free pancakes and can make most dishes gluten free. I can't wait to go back and try the pineapple upside down pancakes gluten free. I had eaten them years ago made traditionally and they were yummy.

I also had a lovely dinner at Rioja in Larimer Square. I didn't eat the yummy rolls that came to our table several times but instead enjoyed the best beet salad I have ever had and a tasty fish entree. When it came time for dessert I assumed I would have to pass but I was wrong. They have a couple of desserts that are gluten free (or can be made that way). They have sorbet and gelato which are gluten free. But I am not much of an ice cream fan so I passed on those. They also have a "smores" dessert that is gluten free if you leave off the graham cracker. My husband has had this before and I can say that it would be a totally satisfying dessert even without the cracker. I settled on the peanut butter and jelly dessert. I can't explain it but it was in several different components - all gluten free. Thanks Rioja!

The last thing I want to mention is one of my own cooking adventures. I made cheesecake for dessert on Christmas Eve and it turned out great with a gluten free crust. I used the Pilleadelphia cream cheese recipe for the cake part but found a recipe on the Internet for gluten free crust. I used my own mixture of Pamela's baking mix, coconut flour and almond flour (approximately 1 1/2 cups Pamela's and 1/4 cup each coconut and almond flours) to make the crust. My gluten eating friends had no idea it was gluten free. By the way, I have used this flour mixture successfully to make Nestle Tollhouse bars, banana bread and other baked goods.

That's all for now. I will try to check in sooner with my gluten free success stories. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment