Monday, November 22, 2010

Am I Going "Crackers"?

I found myself profoundly missing crackers the other day. Crackers may be the thing I miss most. I LOVE crackers and would eat them liberally before this gluten-free thing. I don't think I have had a "real" cracker in over a year. I would eat them plain, with cheese, with peanut butter, it didn't much matter. And so when my husband picked up a box of Ritz Crackers at the store yesterday, I wanted to rip open the box in the car and dive in because I haven’t found a cracker that I truly find acceptable. Skinny Crisps are good but you certainly can’t compare them to a Ritz. The rest are gummy, mealy and quite frankly not worth it.

I read something by Shauna from Gluten Free Girl that kind of hit home for me. She said it was easy to go gluten-free because she had been so sick, reduced to eating jarred baby food at one point. As soon as she gave up gluten, she felt measurably better. I don't have that profound comparison.

When I gave up wheat, my digestion did get better, I had less digestive pain and gas, but I wasn't "cured" of my physical ailments. After not eating gluten at all for 6 months, my health care provider suggested I test eating gluten. When I did, I found that I was okay with it. So now I can treat myself to wheat every once in a while. For that ability, I am grateful.

But maybe that’s why I am finding it hard for me to be on a gluten-free diet – because I don’t have the stark comparison in my health before and after wheat. And unlike my vegetarianism, being gluten-free is not motivated by a profound ethical stance, leaving me a little bit in limbo. Hmm, something I am going to need to ponder a bit more . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment