Monday, May 9, 2011

Tasty Gluten Free Tortilla - An Oxymoron?

Have you found a tasty gluten free tortilla that had a texture other than gummy or crumbly? I haven't. But I really do miss tortillas. They make a great sandwich wrap, are perfect for fajitas and do I even need to mention quesadillas? I miss them all.

Last night I went out for dinner and ordered fajitas with corn tortillas. The fajitas were good but as usual the corn tortillas fell apart in my hands.

I have learned at home that if I toast the corn tortillas in a pan for a few minutes, they will hold up a little longer than just microwaving them. And if I fry them in grapeseed oil they make the BEST tostadas. But corn tortillas are NOT good for a wrap sandwich and I have to admit, I don't like quesadillas made with corn tortillas either.

With Summer upon me, I find myself once again looking for a tortilla wrap. I am hoping that Udi's or Rudi's solves this dilemma for me, and soon.

Update: April 14, 2012
Rudi's has come out with gluten free tortillas. I bought some plain ones at a special demo at Costco and I am happy to report they are pretty good. They dry out easily and have a weird "sour" taste to them but they are better than anything else I have tried. I even put them in the freezer and now pull them out when I need them. That worked just fine. Rudi's is rolling them out now so I would imagine they will be hard to find for the next few months but hopefully soon they will be widely available! A wrap sandwich will be a great summer treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment