Have you found a tasty gluten free tortilla that had a texture other than gummy or crumbly? I haven't. But I really do miss tortillas. They make a great sandwich wrap, are perfect for fajitas and do I even need to mention quesadillas? I miss them all.
Last night I went out for dinner and ordered fajitas with corn tortillas. The fajitas were good but as usual the corn tortillas fell apart in my hands.
I have learned at home that if I toast the corn tortillas in a pan for a few minutes, they will hold up a little longer than just microwaving them. And if I fry them in grapeseed oil they make the BEST tostadas. But corn tortillas are NOT good for a wrap sandwich and I have to admit, I don't like quesadillas made with corn tortillas either.
With Summer upon me, I find myself once again looking for a tortilla wrap. I am hoping that Udi's or Rudi's solves this dilemma for me, and soon.
Update: April 14, 2012
Rudi's has come out with gluten free tortillas. I bought some plain ones at a special demo at Costco and I am happy to report they are pretty good. They dry out easily and have a weird "sour" taste to them but they are better than anything else I have tried. I even put them in the freezer and now pull them out when I need them. That worked just fine. Rudi's is rolling them out now so I would imagine they will be hard to find for the next few months but hopefully soon they will be widely available! A wrap sandwich will be a great summer treat!
Gluten-Free Dining and Foods
- Abrusci's (gluten free Italian menu) Applewood
- Basil Docs (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Beau Jo's (gluten free pizza and beer) Multiple Locations
- Big Bill's Pizza (gluten free pizza) Centennial
- Blue Bonnet (gluten free menu) Denver
- Blue Sky Cafe (gluten free bread, pancakes, more) Lakewood
- Bonefish (gluten free menu w/ flourless brownie!) Multiple Locations
- California Pizza Kitchen (gluten free pizza)
- City O'City (gluten free pizza & bread) Denver
- French Press (gluten free "petal" wraps) Lakewood
- Le Central (gluten free bread and it's yummy!) Denver
- Noodles and Company (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Olive Garden (gluten free penne) Multiple Locations
- Oven, The (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Panzano (gluten free menu & chef) Denver
- PF Chang's (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Rheinlander Bakery (gluten free baked goods) Arvada
- Rioja Denver (gluten free desserts) Denver
- Romano's Italian Restaurant (gluten free pizza) Littleton & Highlands Ranch
- Skinny Crisps Crackers
- Snooze (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Sweet Tomatoes (lots of non-gluten food choices) Multiple Locations
- The Bundt Shoppe (gluten free cake) Castle Pines
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Udi's Cafe (gluten free pizza and sandwiches) Multiple Locations
- Virgilio's Pizzeria (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Watercourse Foods (a few gluten free options but no bread) Denver
- Whole Foods (a whole section of gluten free items)
- Yard House (gluten free menu) Lakewood