You know how a thought just comes to you? And you think, how obvious! And yet you hadn't ever really pondered it before? It happened to me last night.
I was watching some of the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives marathon on Food Network. It was the second to last day on my cleanse and I guess I wanted to watch someone else eat what I couldn't.
Suddenly, in the middle of one of the shows it hit me! I can't eat most of this stuff anyway - cleanse or no cleanse. First, I am a vegetarian (well, I do eat fish so I think that's officially a pescatarian). Anyone that has ever watched that show knows that most of the stuff highlighted is meat-based. But that wasn't what struck me. What struck me was how much of the food showcased had flour in it!
Now, as I have mentioned many times before, I am not a celiac and can enjoy wheat-based products once in a while with no adverse effects. It is only when I over-indulge that my symptoms return. Regardless, I do try to avoid wheat because I know my body doesn't like it.
No, what struck me was how difficult it must be for celiacs! Every dining out experience must feel like a grilling in a police confession to find out if there is wheat in the food. So many things are dredged in flour, or flour is used as a binding agent, is served on a bun, or was used to thicken a sauce. Plus, I am not even taking into account the issues of cross-contamination!
So, once again I am going to count my blessings! If a little wheat slips into my meal, it will be okay. For many people, it means hours or days of misery. In this case, misery does not love company.
I will watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives again, if only as a reminder of what I shouldn't be eating - meat, fat, wheat, etc. After all, it is fun to watch isn't it?
Gluten-Free Dining and Foods
- Abrusci's (gluten free Italian menu) Applewood
- Basil Docs (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Beau Jo's (gluten free pizza and beer) Multiple Locations
- Big Bill's Pizza (gluten free pizza) Centennial
- Blue Bonnet (gluten free menu) Denver
- Blue Sky Cafe (gluten free bread, pancakes, more) Lakewood
- Bonefish (gluten free menu w/ flourless brownie!) Multiple Locations
- California Pizza Kitchen (gluten free pizza)
- City O'City (gluten free pizza & bread) Denver
- French Press (gluten free "petal" wraps) Lakewood
- Le Central (gluten free bread and it's yummy!) Denver
- Noodles and Company (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Olive Garden (gluten free penne) Multiple Locations
- Oven, The (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Panzano (gluten free menu & chef) Denver
- PF Chang's (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Rheinlander Bakery (gluten free baked goods) Arvada
- Rioja Denver (gluten free desserts) Denver
- Romano's Italian Restaurant (gluten free pizza) Littleton & Highlands Ranch
- Skinny Crisps Crackers
- Snooze (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Sweet Tomatoes (lots of non-gluten food choices) Multiple Locations
- The Bundt Shoppe (gluten free cake) Castle Pines
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Udi's Cafe (gluten free pizza and sandwiches) Multiple Locations
- Virgilio's Pizzeria (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Watercourse Foods (a few gluten free options but no bread) Denver
- Whole Foods (a whole section of gluten free items)
- Yard House (gluten free menu) Lakewood