Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Diners, Drive-in and Dives

You know how a thought just comes to you? And you think, how obvious! And yet you hadn't ever really pondered it before? It happened to me last night.

I was watching some of the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives marathon on Food Network. It was the second to last day on my cleanse and I guess I wanted to watch someone else eat what I couldn't.

Suddenly, in the middle of one of the shows it hit me! I can't eat most of this stuff anyway - cleanse or no cleanse. First, I am a vegetarian (well, I do eat fish so I think that's officially a pescatarian). Anyone that has ever watched that show knows that most of the stuff highlighted is meat-based. But that wasn't what struck me. What struck me was how much of the food showcased had flour in it!

Now, as I have mentioned many times before, I am not a celiac and can enjoy wheat-based products once in a while with no adverse effects. It is only when I over-indulge that my symptoms return. Regardless, I do try to avoid wheat because I know my body doesn't like it.

No, what struck me was how difficult it must be for celiacs! Every dining out experience must feel like a grilling in a police confession to find out if there is wheat in the food. So many things are dredged in flour, or flour is used as a binding agent, is served on a bun, or was used to thicken a sauce. Plus, I am not even taking into account the issues of cross-contamination!

So, once again I am going to count my blessings! If a little wheat slips into my meal, it will be okay. For many people, it means hours or days of misery. In this case, misery does not love company.

I will watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives again, if only as a reminder of what I shouldn't be eating - meat, fat, wheat, etc. After all, it is fun to watch isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment