Saturday, April 3, 2010

Big Gluten-Free Disappointment at WaterCourse

A friend and I decided to take in the Denver Art Museum's "Embrace" exhibit yesterday. The exhibit is ending this weekend so it was our last chance. Being relatively new at the gluten-free thing, I decided to go to WaterCourse on 17th before heading to the museum. It has been a vegetarian standard for years and so I mistakenly assumed it would also be a gluten-free haven. Wrong!

My understanding is that they make their own pastries (including yummy vegetarian desserts like coconut cream pie) so imagine my shock when I was told that WaterCourse does not offer any gluten-free bread! My only option was corn tortillas - gross! That is not a suitable bread substitute for sandwiches. WaterCourse also doesn't offer any gluten-free pancake options.

What is even more puzzling is that Watercourse DOES have a couple of gluten-free desserts including a chocolate cake and a cookie, along with a muffin (banana perhaps?) How could a restaurant of this type NOT offer gluten-free bread? I am confused.

Sadly, I won't be back to WaterCourse anytime in the near future. My eating options (unless I want breakfast) are severely limited. I would be better off at Blue Moon in Denver West (which offers gluten-free English muffins and pancakes) or Udi's in Arvada. Even Le Central would have been a better choice for me as they have a really yummy gluten-free bread! Sigh.

P.S. I ended up with a very bland portobello mushroom with tasteless refried beans and brown rice. BORING! Fortunately I enjoyed the Denver Art Museum so the day was saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment