A friend and I decided to take in the Denver Art Museum's "Embrace" exhibit yesterday. The exhibit is ending this weekend so it was our last chance. Being relatively new at the gluten-free thing, I decided to go to WaterCourse on 17th before heading to the museum. It has been a vegetarian standard for years and so I mistakenly assumed it would also be a gluten-free haven. Wrong!
My understanding is that they make their own pastries (including yummy vegetarian desserts like coconut cream pie) so imagine my shock when I was told that WaterCourse does not offer any gluten-free bread! My only option was corn tortillas - gross! That is not a suitable bread substitute for sandwiches. WaterCourse also doesn't offer any gluten-free pancake options.
What is even more puzzling is that Watercourse DOES have a couple of gluten-free desserts including a chocolate cake and a cookie, along with a muffin (banana perhaps?) How could a restaurant of this type NOT offer gluten-free bread? I am confused.
Sadly, I won't be back to WaterCourse anytime in the near future. My eating options (unless I want breakfast) are severely limited. I would be better off at Blue Moon in Denver West (which offers gluten-free English muffins and pancakes) or Udi's in Arvada. Even Le Central would have been a better choice for me as they have a really yummy gluten-free bread! Sigh.
P.S. I ended up with a very bland portobello mushroom with tasteless refried beans and brown rice. BORING! Fortunately I enjoyed the Denver Art Museum so the day was saved!
Gluten-Free Dining and Foods
- Abrusci's (gluten free Italian menu) Applewood
- Basil Docs (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Beau Jo's (gluten free pizza and beer) Multiple Locations
- Big Bill's Pizza (gluten free pizza) Centennial
- Blue Bonnet (gluten free menu) Denver
- Blue Sky Cafe (gluten free bread, pancakes, more) Lakewood
- Bonefish (gluten free menu w/ flourless brownie!) Multiple Locations
- California Pizza Kitchen (gluten free pizza)
- City O'City (gluten free pizza & bread) Denver
- French Press (gluten free "petal" wraps) Lakewood
- Le Central (gluten free bread and it's yummy!) Denver
- Noodles and Company (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Olive Garden (gluten free penne) Multiple Locations
- Oven, The (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Panzano (gluten free menu & chef) Denver
- PF Chang's (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Rheinlander Bakery (gluten free baked goods) Arvada
- Rioja Denver (gluten free desserts) Denver
- Romano's Italian Restaurant (gluten free pizza) Littleton & Highlands Ranch
- Skinny Crisps Crackers
- Snooze (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Sweet Tomatoes (lots of non-gluten food choices) Multiple Locations
- The Bundt Shoppe (gluten free cake) Castle Pines
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Udi's Cafe (gluten free pizza and sandwiches) Multiple Locations
- Virgilio's Pizzeria (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Watercourse Foods (a few gluten free options but no bread) Denver
- Whole Foods (a whole section of gluten free items)
- Yard House (gluten free menu) Lakewood