Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tollhouse Bars

I am going to a pumpkin carving party tomorrow. I made pumpkin roll (pumpkin sponge cake with cream cheese filling) for my friend who requested it. I wanted something I could eat too. So, I decided to try to make Nestle Tollhouse bars using gluten-free flours.

Now I have to confess, I have been having quite a bit of success lately using gluten-free flours as substitutes in recipes. I made delicious oatmeal cookies a couple of weeks ago and my fussy "I don't like gluten-free stuff" hubby gobbled them down.

My trick? I have been using Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix blended with coconut flour and almond flour. I like Pamela's much better than Bob's Red Mill which I think has a strong flavor and can be grainy.

I made the Tollhouse bars exactly as the recipe called for except for the following flour substitution: 1 1/2 cups Pamela's baking mix, 1/2 cup coconut flour and 1/4 cup almond flour. They turned out terrific -- I don't think you could tell them apart from the original recipe. Try it, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment