As promised in an earlier post, I am back to report on my gluten free pumpkin roll. I normally make this for a friend's October birthday and sometimes again during the holidays. It is a little labor intensive and I am sure quite calorie laden so it is reserved as a treat. Besides, I am not supposed to eat it since it is made with flour.
However, we are having a Halloween party this weekend and I wanted to have a dessert that I could eat. So, I decided to try making the pumpkin roll gluten free. It couldn't have been easier and it couldn't have turned out any better!
How did I do it? I substituted Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix for the flour. That's it! I have had such luck with using Pamela's mix that I am hesitant to even try other gluten free recipe variations. Thanks Pamela!
I can't wait to serve the pumpkin roll at our party and secretly know that it is gluten free because I am sure none of my guests will be able to tell. Happy Halloween!
Libby's Pumpkin Roll Recipe (modified to be gluten free)
* 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
* 3/4 cup Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 large eggs
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
* 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
* 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
* 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour (with Pamela's mix) paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
COMBINE Pamela's mix, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.
BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.
Gluten-Free Dining and Foods
- Abrusci's (gluten free Italian menu) Applewood
- Basil Docs (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Beau Jo's (gluten free pizza and beer) Multiple Locations
- Big Bill's Pizza (gluten free pizza) Centennial
- Blue Bonnet (gluten free menu) Denver
- Blue Sky Cafe (gluten free bread, pancakes, more) Lakewood
- Bonefish (gluten free menu w/ flourless brownie!) Multiple Locations
- California Pizza Kitchen (gluten free pizza)
- City O'City (gluten free pizza & bread) Denver
- French Press (gluten free "petal" wraps) Lakewood
- Le Central (gluten free bread and it's yummy!) Denver
- Noodles and Company (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Olive Garden (gluten free penne) Multiple Locations
- Oven, The (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Panzano (gluten free menu & chef) Denver
- PF Chang's (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Rheinlander Bakery (gluten free baked goods) Arvada
- Rioja Denver (gluten free desserts) Denver
- Romano's Italian Restaurant (gluten free pizza) Littleton & Highlands Ranch
- Skinny Crisps Crackers
- Snooze (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Sweet Tomatoes (lots of non-gluten food choices) Multiple Locations
- The Bundt Shoppe (gluten free cake) Castle Pines
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Udi's Cafe (gluten free pizza and sandwiches) Multiple Locations
- Virgilio's Pizzeria (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Watercourse Foods (a few gluten free options but no bread) Denver
- Whole Foods (a whole section of gluten free items)
- Yard House (gluten free menu) Lakewood