Taking inspiration from Gluten Free Girl and the Chef, I made homemade pumpkin pie with gluten free crust this past weekend. And when I say homemade, I mean homemade. As in roasting my own sugar pumpkin, pureeing the pumpkin, mixing up my own gluten free flour mixture and making homemade crust. It turned out great!
I won't repeat the recipe and steps here - you can visit Gluten Free Girl for that by clicking here http://glutenfreegirl.com/fresh-pumpkin-pie-gluten-free/. But I will copy my conclusions about the pie below. Everyone should try it once, just for the experience and to know that you can do it!
1. I will be using canned pumpkin to make my Thanksgiving pie. Cheaper and much, much easier. While I always enjoy fresh over processed, I don’t think the extra time and effort involved in roasting your own sugar pumpkin is worth it. The canned pumpkin is just canned pumpkin and therefore minimally processed. The pie with the fresh pumpkin didn’t taste any better (according to my hubby) and there was a lot more work and time involved.
2. The gluten free pie crust recipe is yummy. A little crumbly and hard to work with but that is partially my fault as I made several mini-pies instead of one big one. However, it tastes good.
3. My favorite part of making pie is taking the bits and pieced left from the crust and sprinkling sugar and cinnamon on them and baking them. They were so good with the gluten free crust! I hadn’t had the them in a long time. I am now threatening to make a batch of pie crust just to make the sugar and cinnamon bits, but no pie!
Thanks Shauna at Gluten Free Girl for inspiring me to make a pumpkin pie from scratch and with gluten free crust. In the past, I have made pumpkin pie with no crust to avoid the gluten. Now I can enjoy crust again!
Now go forth and bake pie!
Gluten-Free Dining and Foods
- Abrusci's (gluten free Italian menu) Applewood
- Basil Docs (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Beau Jo's (gluten free pizza and beer) Multiple Locations
- Big Bill's Pizza (gluten free pizza) Centennial
- Blue Bonnet (gluten free menu) Denver
- Blue Sky Cafe (gluten free bread, pancakes, more) Lakewood
- Bonefish (gluten free menu w/ flourless brownie!) Multiple Locations
- California Pizza Kitchen (gluten free pizza)
- City O'City (gluten free pizza & bread) Denver
- French Press (gluten free "petal" wraps) Lakewood
- Le Central (gluten free bread and it's yummy!) Denver
- Noodles and Company (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Olive Garden (gluten free penne) Multiple Locations
- Oven, The (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Panzano (gluten free menu & chef) Denver
- PF Chang's (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Rheinlander Bakery (gluten free baked goods) Arvada
- Rioja Denver (gluten free desserts) Denver
- Romano's Italian Restaurant (gluten free pizza) Littleton & Highlands Ranch
- Skinny Crisps Crackers
- Snooze (gluten free menu) Multiple Locations
- Sweet Tomatoes (lots of non-gluten food choices) Multiple Locations
- The Bundt Shoppe (gluten free cake) Castle Pines
- The Rock Wood Fired Pizza (gluten free pizza) Multiple Locations
- Udi's Cafe (gluten free pizza and sandwiches) Multiple Locations
- Virgilio's Pizzeria (gluten free pizza) Lakewood
- Watercourse Foods (a few gluten free options but no bread) Denver
- Whole Foods (a whole section of gluten free items)
- Yard House (gluten free menu) Lakewood