Friday, March 23, 2012

French Press Lakewood: Gluten Free Friendly

I love it when I find new restaurants that have really good gluten free options. It means that I don't have to just take what is on the menu and order it without bread or rely on a salad with no croutons. My recent find, thanks to a dear friend, is The French Press located just off Union in Lakewood.

Not only do they serve gluten free "petals" (a type of gluten free wrap bread) they also have gluten free Thursdays. Every Thursday they have one rack of baked goods devoted to gluten free treats. I have tried several of them during my three visits. The raspberry muffin was yummy. I am a sucker for coconut macaroons and theirs were so good. The cookie was tasty too. I wasn't a fan of the raspberry coffee cake as it had cinnamon in it. I know I am a freak, but I don't enjoy cinnamon very much and don't like it with any fruit except sometimes apple. I also didn't enjoy the brownie but that's because I am a cake-type brownie fan and this one was thin and a bit grainy in my mind.

This is a locally owned little gem and they seem eager to please their customers. I think they would try to accommodate any special requests to the best of their ability. Perhaps the best thing is the prices. They are reasonable, very reasonable, especially when you consider the quality of the food.

But don't go expecting some fancy dining experience. You order at the counter and take a seat at one of the hodge podge of tables in the small space. It is cozy and well decorated but can be a bit crowded and noisy during peak times. Just try to avoid high noon and you should be just fine. Oh yeah, and make sure you go on a Thursday to take advantage of the ever changing menu of gluten free baked goods!

No comments:

Post a Comment