Monday, August 30, 2010

Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food Fair

Thanks to the Denver Metro Chapter of CSA/USA (www.DenverCeliacs.org) for yesterday's gluten-free food fair at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. I was shocked by the number of attendees but it only proves what a great demand there is for gluten-free food.

As I have mentioned here before, I am not a celiac and therefore I can enjoy wheat on occasion. In fact, I generally eat something wheat (pizza, fried fish, etc.) about once a week. I am grateful that I am still able to do that. But needing gluten-free options on a day-to-day basis is just as important to me as anyone else. So thank you to all the vendors out there that are supporting those of us not on some fad gluten-free diet to try to lose weight, but have health needs that require gluten-free eating.

Specifically, I would like to thank a few of my favorite companies (Vitamin Cottage and Whole Foods are "givens"):

King Soopers -- It seems like an odd choice to name my local grocery store but King Soopers has been great (at least my normal store at Florida and Kipling - I realize they all carry a vastly different food selections). They have a gluten-free frozen section as well as a small frozen section in the bakery. The cracker aisle also has a few gluten-free cracker and cookie options. It makes weekly shopping much easier for me.

Udi's -- I love your bread, pizza crusts, muffins and more. What's even better is that I can get them at all of my favorite stores (Vitamin Cottage, King Soopers and Whole Foods.)

Glutino -- Most of their gluten-free products are very good (but I have had a few very BAD ones!) The variety of products available is terrific. I only wish your distribution was a little better as the only place that has most of your products is Whole Foods.

Rudi's -- This one is new to me because their gluten-free bread is new to me. I just got a free loaf at yesterday's gluten-free fair. But since then I have had buttered toast with my eggs and a grilled cheese sandwich - yum! And because your loaves are slightly larger than Udi's, my sandwich felt more significant. I will be interested to see how your products are priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment