Sunday, August 8, 2010

No Cobbler for Me!

Sweet Tomatoes is a great place for a vegetarian to eat. They have a huge salad bar and usually at least one or two soups that are vegetarian. Side note: They also make soups that could easily be vegetarian with non-vegetarian ingredients. Why do they do that? Anyway, I have always enjoyed going there to eat because I feel "normal".

But since going gluten-free it is harder for me to eat at Sweet Tomatoes. Yes, I can still fully enjoy the salad bar. But sometimes the vegetarian soups have pasta in them (e.g. the minestrone). And I really, really miss being able to eat the baked goods. A cornbread muffin was always on my plate because my hubby doesn't like cornbread so I never made it at home. For dessert, it was always a brownie (maybe two!) or the hot cobbler dessert of the month. No more. It is so hard to sit there eating watery chocolate pudding (what's with that texture anyway?) while my friends and family nosh on pizza, muffins, pasta and cobbler.

I know, I know, I am being a whiner. I am not starving in this world and Sweet Tomatoes still offers me a lot of options (I have recently discovered the baked potatoes). I just miss the baked goods. I dream of them offering a gluten-free option but know that is an illusion in my mind. If Starbuck's couldn't succeed with a gluten-free pastry, I doubt Sweet Tomatoes could either. I understand. Even if I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment